Berlusconi tests positive for Coronavirus; will be in quarantine
Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has tested positive for the coronavirus during a precautionary medical examination, and will be in quarantine in one of his residences, his press office reported on Wednesday.
Berlusconi, 83, is confined to his residence in Arcore, near Milan, and will work from there while he concludes his necessary confinement, the office said.
His personal physician, Alberto Zangrillo, said the former prime minister is "asymptomatic," according to the Italian press.
Berlusconi confirmed the news in a private conversation by Zoom with the feminist movement accompanying his party, Forza Italia.
The media mogul who was Italy's three-time premier was recently photographed in Sardinia next to an old friend, businessman Flavio Briatore, who was hospitalized in mid-August because he had COVID-19. At that time Berlusconi tested negative for the virus.
Berlusconi is back in the limelight now that regional elections are about to take place, in which Forza Italia could be key to a victory for the center-right opposition.
Berlusconi "will continue to support Forza Italia and the center-right candidates in regional and administrative elections, with daily interviews in newspapers, television and social media," his office said in a statement.
As Italy continues to fight the coronavirus pandemic, which has left more than 35,400 people dead in the country, the political leader known to the world for his personal life returned to the center of political action and summer gossip.
Berlusconi made headlines last month when Italian tabloids published photos of him walking in Sardinia holding the hand of his new girlfriend, Forza Italia lawmaker Marta Fascina, who is 53 younger than Berlusconi.
Berlusconi separated in March from his longtime partner Francesca Pascale.